Objective: The objective of the article is to identify the intensity of the interest in non-fungible tokens (NFTs) in a spatial and temporal frame of reference (regions of the world in the period January 2021 – May 2022) and the project changes based on Internet users’ queries for the keyword ‘NFT.’
Research Design & Methods: The basic research material under consideration consisted of spatial-time series generated from Google Trends. The data generated were subjected to relational and ratio analysis relying on clusters, correlation, and regression. The analytical tools used allowed for a cross-regional comparative analysis in a dynamic frame and a simplified prediction of the interest in NFTs on a global scale.
Findings: The biggest interest in NFTs is found in ‘the heart of today’s fastest-growing economy in the world’ consisting of Hong Kong, China, and Singapore. The dynamic growth of NFT collection and transactions in 2021 translated into the culmination of the interest in NFTs in January 2022. However, this interest was short-lived and significantly dropped in the next few months. Regardless of the region of the world, the trends of exchange in this field coincide. The NFT market will probably develop, but the dynamic growth that took place in 2021 will no longer occur.
Implications & Recommendations: The results of the study have practical implications for creators, investors, institutions and governments, as well as those interested in understanding the growing NFT branch as a part of the new global digital economy and the dynamically growing market of digital assets. In particular, it is necessary to take into account the currently discussed vision of introducing digital currencies and abandoning cash. From the theoretical perspective, the article complements the NFT analyses and the research instruments used.
Contribution & Value Added: The conducted study is pioneering in terms of the cognitive plane, i.e. analysis of the interest in NFTs on a global scale. The analytical process based on data generated from Google Trends, together with the research instruments used, is not reflected in the current scientific output. As assets that are objects of trade, NFTs fit into the new and rapidly evolving phenomenon. It is a cognitive area embedded in a very modest scientific output. The article enriches theoretical and cognitive research in the field of artificial intelligence.
artificial intelligence, cryptocurrencies, entrepreneurship, Google Trends, NFT, non-fungible token
PhD, Assistant Professor at the John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economics and Finance, Department of Econometrics and Statistics.
Habilitated doctor, Associate Professor at the John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economics and Finance, Department of Econometrics and Statistics.
Master of Arts, president of Sun Solution Sp. z o.o. A company in the creative industry, focused on digital graphic designs.
- Agrawal, S., & Sandhu, M. (2022). A Comprehensive Study on the Evolution of the NFT Market & Future Prospects. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science Engineering and Technology, 11(4), 3454-3462. https://doi.org/10.15680/IJIRSET.2022.1104049
- Aharon, D.Y., & Demir, E. (2021). NFTs and asset class spillovers: lessons from the period around the COVID-19 pandemic. Finance Research Letters, 102515. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2021.102515
- Ante. L. (2021b). The non-fungible token (NFT) market and its relationship with Bitcoin and Ethereum. SSRN Electronic Journal. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3861106
- Ante, L. (2021a). Smart Contracts on the Blockchain – A Bibliometric Analysis and Review. Telemat. Informatics, 57, 101519. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2020.101519
- Arslanian, H. (2022). Non-Fungible Tokens. In: The Book of Crypto. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-97951-5_13
- Carayannis, E.G., Christodoulou, K., Christodoulou, P. Chatzichristofis, S.A., & Zinonos, Z. (2022). Known Unknowns in an Era of Technological and Viral Disruptions—Implications for Theory, Policy, and Practice. Journal of the Knowledge Economy, 13(1), 587-610. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13132-020-00719-0
- Chalmers, D., Fisch C., Matthews, R, Quinn, W., & Recker J. (2022). Beyond the bubble: Will NFTs and digital proof of ownership empower creative industry entrepreneurs?. Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 17, e00309. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbvi.2022.e00309
- Chowdhury, M., Damianov, D.S., & Elsayed, A.H. (2022). Bubbles and crashes in cryptocurrencies: interdependence, contagion, or asset rotation?. Finance Research Letters, 46(B), 102494. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2021.102494
- Dowling, M. (2022a). Fertile land: pricing non-fungible tokens. Finance Research Letters, 44, 102096. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2021.102096
- Dowling, M. (2022b). Is non-fungible token pricing driven by cryptocurrencies?. Finance Research Letters, 44, 102097. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2021.102097
- Dupuis, D., Smith, D., & Gleason, K. (2021). Old frauds with a new sauce: Digital assets and space transition. Journal of Financial Crime, 30(1), 205-220. https://doi.org/10.1108/JFC-11-2021-0242
- Elsayed, A.H, Gozgor, G., & Yarovaya, L. (2022). Volatility and return connectedness of cryptocurrency, gold, and uncertainty: Evidence from the cryptocurrency uncertainty indices. Finance Research Letters, 102732. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2022.102732
- Grauer, K., Kueshner, W., & Updegrave, H. (2022). NFT Market Report. Everything you need to know about the NFT market and its most successful collectors. Chainalysis. Retrieved from https://blog.chainalysis.com/reports/nft-market-report-preview-2021 on June 26, 2022.
- Jain, N., Gupta, V., & Dass, P. (2022). Chapter 3 - Blockchain: A novel paradigm for secured data transmission in telemedicine. In H.D.Jude, D.Gupta, A.Khanna, & A.Khamparia (Eds.), Wearable Telemedicine Technology for the Healthcare Industry (pp. 33-5). Academic Press. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-323-85854-0.00003-4
- Jegorow, D. (2018). Identyfikacja zainteresowania dotacjami jako zjawiska sezonowego. Quantitative Methods in Economics, 19(2), 140-150. https://doi.10.22630/MIBE.2018.19.2.13
- Jun, S., Yoo, H.S., & Choi, S. (2018). Ten years of research change using Google Trends: From the perspective of big data utilizations and applications. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 130, 69-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2017.11.009
- Lee, Y., & Rhee, J.H. (2022). A VECM analysis of Bitcoin price using time-varying cointegration approach. Journal of Derivatives and Quantitative Studies: 선물연구. https://doi.org/10.1108/JDQS-01-2022-0001
- Leonard, A., & Ariawan, A. (2021). Analisis Perlindungan Hukum Terhadap Ganti Kerugian Akibat Investasi Ilegal. Jurnal Hukum Adigama, 4(2). http://dx.doi.org/10.24912/adigama.v4i2.18011
- Maouchi, Y., Charfeddine, L., & El Montasser, G. (2021). Understanding digital bubbles amidst the COVID-19 pandemic: Evidence from DeFi and NFTs. Finance Research Letters, 102584. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2021.102584 iiii
- Mazieri, M.R., Scafuto, I.C., & Da Costa, P.R. (2022). Tokenization, blockchain and web 3.0 technologies as research objects in innovation management. International Journal of Innovation, 10(1), 1-5. https://doi.org/10.5585/iji.v10i1.21768
- Nadini, M., Alessandretti, L., Di Giacinto, F., Martino, M., Aiello L.M., & Baronchelli, A. (2022). Mapping the NFT revolution: market trends, trade networks, and visual features. Scientific Reports, 11(1), 20902. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-00053-8
- Pinto-Gutiérrez, C., Gaitán, S., Jaramillo, D., & Velasquez, S. (2022). The NFT Hype: What Draws Attention to Non-Fungible Tokens?. Mathematics, 10(3), 335. https://doi.org/10.3390/math10030335
- Przyłuska Schmitt, J., Jegorow, D., & Bučková, J. (2022). Investments in gold or cryptocurrencies? Safe haven during the Covid-19 pandemic. Scientific Papers of Silesian University of Technology. Organization and Management Series, 158, 489-500. https://doi.org/10.29119/1641-3466.2022.158.31
- Umar, Z., Gubareva, M., Teplova, T., & Tran, D.K. (2022). Covid-19 impact on NFTs and major asset classes interrelations: Insights from the wavelet coherence analysis. Finance Research Letters, 102725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2022.102725
- Vasan, K., Janosov, M., & Barabási, A.L. (2022). Quantifying NFT-driven networks in crypto art. Scientific Reports, 12(1), 2769. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-05146-6
- Wang, A, McCarron, R., Azzam, D., Stehli, A., Xiong, G., & DeMartini, J. (2022). Utilizing Big Data From Google Trends to Map Population Depression in the United States: Exploratory Infodemiology Study. JMIR Mental Health, 9(3), e35253. https://doi.org/10.2196/35253
- Yearly NFT Market Report 2021: How NFTs affect the World, NonFungible Corporation. Retrieved from http://www.nonfungible.com/reports/2021/en/yearly-nft-market-report on June 20, 2022.
- Yousaf, I., & Yarovaya, L. (2021). Static and Dynamic Connectedness Between NFTs, Defi and Other Assets: Portfolio Implication. https://doi.org/10.2139/SSRN.394661