Objective: The article aims to examine the use of technology in leadership, and whether it can bring real advantages to leadership effectiveness.
Research Design & Methods: In this article, we provide a preliminary analysis of empirical research conducted among managers working in the USA, Japan, India, and France on technology use. The analysis was conducted on a country level.
Findings: We found that technology is an important issue, but the application of too many technological solutions is not effective for leaders. Analysis of non-technological solutions to overcome a constraint is necessary, especially in the long term.
Implications & Recommendations: The study was devoted to the use of new technologies by leaders in different countries. We examined technologies that have influenced present-day leadership and contemporary business in recent years. Without any doubt, new technologies such as ChatGPT will have an impact on the current leadership.
Contribution & Value Added: The article’s added value consists of the updated and synthetic presentation of the application of different technologies in leadership activities.
digital technologies, chatGPT, virtual reality, robotic process automation, social media, human capital management systems
Associate Professor at Kozminski University (Poland). Habilitation in Management (2018), Ph.D. in Economics (2007). Visiting Fellow at Harvard University (2011-2013). His research interests include human resources management, leadership, and technology.
Andrzej Krzysztof Kozminski
Full Professor at Kozminski University (Poland). Professor of Economics (1976), Habilitation in Economics (1968), Ph.D. in Economics (1965). His research interests include management and leadership.
Associate Professor at Kozminski University (Poland). Degree of Habilitated Doctor in Management (2019), Ph.D. in psychology (2007). Her research interests include leadership, managerial competencies, and determinants of success in business.
- Al Halbusi, H., Tang, T. L.-P., Williams, K.A., & Ramayah, T. (2022). Do ethical leaders enhance employee ethical behaviors? Organizational justice and ethical climate as dual mediators and leader moral attentiveness as a moderator--Evidence from Iraq’s emerging market. Asian Journal of Business Ethics, 11(1), 105-135. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13520-022-00143-4
- Aránega, A.Y., Montesinos, C.G., & del Val Núñez, M.T. (2023). Towards an entrepreneurial leadership based on kindness in a digital age. Journal of Business Research, 159, 113747. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2023.113747
- Bain&Company. (2023). OpenAI x Bain&Company. Retrived from https://www.bain.com/vector-digital/partnerships-alliance-ecosystem/openai-alliance/ on May 4, 2023.
- Borah, P.S., Iqbal, S., & Akhtar, S. (2022). Linking social media usage and SME’s sustainable performance: The role of digital leadership and innovation capabilities. Technology in Society, 68, 101900. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techsoc.2022.101900
- Çolak, H. (2022). Acceptance of blockchain technology in supply chains: A model proposal. Operations and Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 15(1), 17-26. https://doi.org/10.31387/oscm0480327
- Cortellazzo, L., Bruni, E., & Zampieri, R. (2019). The role of leadership in a digitalized world: A review. Frontiers in Psychology, 10, 1938. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.01938
- Cristofaro, M. (2017). Herbert Simon’s bounded rationality: Its historical evolution in management and cross-fertilizing contribution. Journal of Management History, 23(2), 170-190. https://doi.org/10.1108/jmh-11-2016-0060
- Dasborough, M.T., Ashkanasy, N.M., Humphrey, R.H., Harms, P., Credé, M., & Wood, D. (2022). Does leadership still not need emotional intelligence? Continuing “The Great EI Debate”. The Leadership Quarterly, 33(6), 101539. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2021.101539
- Dastmalchian, A., Bacon, N., McNeil, N., Steinke, C., Blyton, P., Satish Kumar, M., . . . Cotton, R. (2020). High-performance work systems and organizational performance across societal cultures. Journal of International Business Studies, 51, 353-388. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41267-019-00295-9
- Delanoy, N., & Kasztelnik, K. (2020). Business open big data analytics to support innovative leadership and management decision in Canada. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(2), 56-74. https://doi.org/10.21272/bel.4(2).56-74.2020
- Dey, M., Bhattacharjee, S., Mahmood, M., Uddin, M.A., & Biswas, S.R. (2022). Ethical leadership for better sustainable performance: Role of employee values, behavior and ethical climate. Journal of Cleaner Production, 337, 130527. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2022.130527
- Ehrnrooth, M., Barner‐Rasmussen, W., Koveshnikov, A., & Törnroos, M. (2021). A new look at the relationships between transformational leadership and employee attitudes—Does a high‐performance work system substitute and/or enhance these relationships?. Human Resource Management, 60(3), 377-398. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.22024
- Forbes. (2021). Rafał Brzoska: Liderzy muszą tłumaczyć sens zmian Retrieved from https://www.forbes.pl/kariera/rafal-brzoska-o-przywodztwie-w-biznesie-brandme-ceo-2021/kmqyv3s on May 4, 2023.
- Gravier, E. (2019). The top 10 most ‘connected’ CEOs on social media-and where you can follow them. Retrieved from https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/25/the-10-most-connected-ceos-on-social-media.html. on May 4, 2023.
- Hartelius, E.J. (2023). “The great chain of being sure about things”: blockchain, truth, and a trustless network. Review of Communication, 23(1), 21-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/15358593.2022.2112270
- Harver. (2020). How Arvato reduced employee turnover by 63%. Retrieved from https://harver.com/clients/bpo/arvato/ on May 4, 2023.
- Jones, M. (2019). C-levels need social media leadership skills. Retrieved from https://techhq.com/2019/06/c-levels-need-social-media-leadership-skills/ on May 4, 2023.
- Kellogg, K.C., Sendak, M., & Balu, S. (2022). AI on the Front Lines. MIT Sloan Management Review, 63(4), 44-50. https://doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.2022.12919symposium
- King, B. (2021). The Home Depot. Retrieved from https://www.ibm.com/case-studies/the-home-depot/ on May 4, 2023.
- Korzynski, P., Mazurek, G., Altmann, A., Ejdys, J., Kazlauskaite, R., Paliszkiewicz, J., Wach, K., & Ziemba, E. (2023). Generative artificial intelligence as a new context for management theories: analysis of ChatGPT. Central European Management Journal, (ahead-of-print). https://doi.org/10.1108/CEMJ-02-2023-0091
- Korzynski, P., Mazurek, G., & Haenlein, M. (2020). Leveraging employees as spokespeople in your HR strategy: How company-related employee posts on social media can help firms to attract new talent. European Management Journal, 38(1), 204-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2019.08.003
- Korzynski, P., Paniagua, J., & Mazurek, G. (2023). Corporate opinion leadership on professional social media. Management Decision, 61(1), 223-242. https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-07-2021-0950
- Kozminski, A.K., Baczyńska, A.K., Skoczeń, I., & Korzynski, P. (2022). Towards leadership effectiveness: the role of leadership individual competencies and constraints. Introduction of the Bounded Leadership Model. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 43(4), 596-611. https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-04-2020-0157
- Koźmiński, A.K. (2015). Bounded leadership: empirical study of the polish elite. Polish Sociological Review, 192(4), 425-453.
- Llamas‐Díaz, D., Cabello, R., Megías‐Robles, A., & Fernández‐Berrocal, P. (2022). Systematic review and meta‐analysis: The association between emotional intelligence and subjective well‐being in adolescents. Journal of Adolescence, 94(7), 925-938. https://doi.org/10.1002/jad.12075
- Lund, B.D., & Wang, T. (2023). Chatting about ChatGPT: how may AI and GPT impact academia and libraries?. Library Hi Tech News, (ahead-of-print). https://doi.org/10.1108/LHTN-01-2023-0009
- Maslova, K., Gasimov, A., & Konovalova, A. (2022). Using virtual reality to develop emotional intelligence. European Psychiatry, 65(S1), S244-S245. https://doi.org/10.1192/j.eurpsy.2022.631
- Meng, J., & Berger, B.K. (2019). The impact of organizational culture and leadership performance on PR professionals’ job satisfaction: Testing the joint mediating effects of engagement and trust. Public Relations Review, 45(1), 64-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pubrev.2018.11.002
- Monteiro, P., & Adler, P.S. (2022). Bureaucracy for the 21st century: Clarifying and expanding our view of bureaucratic organization. Academy of Management Annals, 16(2), 427-475. https://doi.org/10.5465/annals.2019.0059
- Montenero, V., & Cazorzi, C. (2022). Virtual management during the Covid-19 era: Changes in leadership and management. International Entrepreneurship Review, 8(1), 77-94. https://doi.org/10.15678/ier.2022.0801.06
- Mursion. (2020). T-Mobile Uses VR Simulations for Leadership and Handling Change Management Retrieved from https://www.mursion.com/case-studies/t-mobile-uses-vr-simulations/ on May 4, 2023.
- Newman, J., Mintrom, M., & O’Neill, D. (2022). Digital technologies, artificial intelligence, and bureaucratic transformation. Futures, 136, 102886. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.futures.2021.102886
- Nikolova, I., Schaufeli, W., & Notelaers, G. (2019). Engaging leader-Engaged employees? A cross-lagged study on employee engagement. European Management Journal, 37(6), 772-783. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2019.02.004
- Oracle. (2021). Oracle Cloud helps illycaffè deliver ‘world’s best coffee’. Retrieved from https://www.oracle.com/pl/customers/applications/illy-caffe/ on May 4, 2023.
- Plattfaut, R., & Borghoff, V. (2022). Robotic process automation: a literature-based research agenda. Journal of Information Systems, 36(2), 173-191. https://doi.org/10.2308/isys-2020-033
- Rymarczyk, J. (2020). Technologies, opportunities and challenges of the industrial revolution 4.0: theoretical considerations. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 8(1), 185-198. https://doi.org/10.15678/eber.2020.080110
- Sharif, M.M., & Ghodoosi, F. (2022). The ethics of blockchain in organizations. Journal of Business Ethics, 178(4), 1009-1025. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-022-05058-5
- Sieja, M., & Wach, K. (2019). The use of evolutionary algorithms for optimization in the modern entrepreneurial economy: interdisciplinary perspective. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 7(4), 117-130. https://doi.org/10.15678/eber.2019.070407
- Silic, M., Marzi, G., Caputo, A., & Bal, P.M. (2020). The effects of a gamified human resource management system on job satisfaction and engagement. Human Resource Management Journal, 30(2), 260-277. https://doi.org/10.1111/1748-8583.12272
- Smutny, P. (2022). Learning with virtual reality: A market analysis of educational and training applications. Interactive Learning Environments, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/10494820.2022.2028856
- Sørensen, J.B. (2002). The strength of corporate culture and the reliability of firm performance. Administrative Science Quarterly, 47(1), 70-91. https://doi.org/10.2307/3094891
- Sun, H. (2020). Global social media design: Bridging differences across cultures: Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/oso/9780190845582.001.0001
- Tang, G., Chen, Y., van Knippenberg, D., & Yu, B. (2020). Antecedents and consequences of empowering leadership: Leader power distance, leader perception of team capability, and team innovation. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 41(6), 551-566. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.2449
- UiPath. (2021). Uber Coordinates Global Operations with Help from UiPath RPA. Retrieved from https://www.uipath.com/resources/automation-case-studies/uber-maintains-global-infrastructure-built-on-rpa. on May 4, 2023.
- van Dis, E.A., Bollen, J., Zuidema, W., van Rooij, R., & Bockting, C.L. (2023). ChatGPT: five priorities for research. Nature, 614(7947), 224-226. https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-023-00288-7
- Wach, K., Duong, C.D., Ejdys, J., Kazlauskaitė, R., Mazurek, P., Korzynski, P., Paliszkiewicz, J., & Ziemba, E. (2023). The dark side of generative artificial intelligence: A critical analysis of controversies and risks of ChatGTP. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 11(2). (ahead-of-print).
- Wong, K.K.K. (2013). Partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM) techniques using SmartPLS. Marketing Bulletin, 24(1), 1-32. https://doi.org/10.3390/books978-3-0365-2621-8
- Wu, Y., & Zhang, Y. (2022). An integrated framework for blockchain-enabled supply chain trust management towards smart manufacturing. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 51, 101522. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aei.2021.101522
- Yue, C.A., Thelen, P., Robinson, K., & Men, L.R. (2019). How do CEOs communicate on Twitter? A comparative study between Fortune 200 companies and top startup companies. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 24(3), 532-552. https://doi.org/10.1108/CCIJ-03-2019-0031